Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Who should I vote for?

For an election that is not going to make a great deal of difference in our political power structure, the Presidential Election has surprisingly placed me in a fix. Who should I vote for?

I had decided from Day 1 that I am not going to vote for the PAP endorsed candidate. When Tony Tan announced publicly that he was contesting, I had no illusions that he is the PAP endorsed candidate. Sure enough, the endorsements came regularly from different quarters. I am definitely not voting for Tony Tan.
That leaves me with three candidates, all of whom are to varying degrees capable of acting independently when elected.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock on a personal level gives me the vibes of a moderate person who would neither be a 'yes' man nor an unnecessarily confrontational individual. Tan Jee Say and Tan Kin Lian appear to be equally minded to address policy issues with the Cabinet and possibly through that reshape the Presidency.

I have narrowed myself down to Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Tan Jee Say. It is now between the Palm Tree and the Heart. I just went through the New Asia Republic's tabulation of the candidates' position on various issues: http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=32344

Still undecided.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will vote for Tan Jee Say, heart of our Nation ! A man who understands the struggles of the lesser mortals with teenage school going kids in tow ....

I hope you will too !

Anonymous said...

In decision making, my process is the upside/downside.

What's the worst that could happen if TJS got elected?
And if that happen, what can we learn/gain from it?
There's nothing to lose in taking a risk if the risk is containable/rectified. We're not talking about choosing a govt..that's another matter which I agree.

So I opt for the one with the most upside. Nothing to lose. Whoever the people elected, the PM will work/cooperate. And we the people will see if that truly happens.
Gd luck